What is Appendicitis
Inflammation of the appendix, a small-sized finger-shaped pouch on the lower right side of your belly, projecting from your colon is termed as appendicitis. According to Dr. Sanjoy Mandal, a renowned appendix specialist doctor, the small pouch-like organ serves no known purpose.
What are the Symptoms of Appendicitis
Appendicitis symptoms that are most commonly experienced are:
- Loss of appetite
- Sudden lower-abdominal pain that starts on the right side and spreads
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Sudden pain that begins around the navel and moves to the lower right abdomen
- When you cough, walk, or make other quick motions, the pain increases
- Abdominal bloating
- Pain that initiates on the right side of the lower abdomen and spreads to the left
- Fever, which may become more severe as the illness continues
- Nausea and vomiting
Depending on your age, as well as the position of the appendix, the location of your discomfort may differ.
If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, you should consult the best doctor for appendicitis in Kolkata immediately.
Diagnosis of Appendicitis
Your doctor will gather a history of your signs and symptoms, as well as inspect your abdomen and how much the pain has damaged the area.
- Physical examination: to determine the severity of your discomfort and the extent of inflammation in the affected area. Aside from this, your appendix surgeon may do a digital rectal exam to examine your lower rectum.
- Blood test: is performed to determine if you have a high white blood cell count.
- Urine test: to ensure that your pain isn’t caused by a urinary tract infection or a kidney stone.
- Imaging tests: include ultrasounds, abdominal X-rays, and computed tomography (CT) scans.
Appendix Treatment in Kolkata
- The most common treatment for appendicitis is surgery, which is preceded by the administration of antibiotics to prevent infection. Appendectomy is the medical term for this treatment.
- It is a procedure that can be performed either with one long abdominal incision (open surgery) or with a few tiny incisions (laparoscopic surgery).
- If your appendix bursts and an abscess forms around it, the abscess can be drained by inserting a tube through the skin.
The best appendix surgeon in Kolkata says that appendicitis, being a medical emergency, necessitates the removal of the appendix as soon as possible. An inflamed appendix will ultimately burst, or perforate, releasing infectious contents into the abdominal cavity if left untreated. Peritonitis, a significant inflammation of the lining of the abdominal cavity (peritoneum) that can be fatal unless treated swiftly with strong antibiotics, can result.