Intestinal obstruction is a condition that prevents your stool and gas from passing through the intestines due to the presence of a blockage. Whenever you consume food, the food passes through the stomach to the rectum. Along the way, the body breaks down the portions which are required to produce energy and turn the unused part into the stool. A gastrointestinal obstruction may cause partial or complete blockage of stool. One of the best gastro surgeons in Kolkata said that if the condition is left without treatment, it can lead to serious complications.
Consequences of untreated intestinal obstruction:
Untreated bowel obstruction can pose health problems and its consequences vary depending upon its severity. Here are the serious risks you might experience if you fail to get timely treatment, says a top gastrointestinal surgeon in Kolkata.
- Bowel strangulation: In some patients, the blocked intestine may become twisted, thereby restricting the flow of blood to the intestines. As a result, the affected portion of the intestine may be permanently damaged, leading to serious complications.
- Severe abdominal pain: Frequent build-up of stool, fluid and gas in the intestines lead to severe abdominal pain, cramping and swelling.
- Perforation: The excess pressure due to the obstruction weakens the walls of the intestine which ultimately leads to a tear or hole over time in the intestinal wall. This causes leakage of fluids into the abdominal cavity and may result in severe infection.
- Loss of appetite: Intestinal obstruction also prevents the absorption of nutrients in the affected portions of the intestine. Gradually, the patient losses his/her appetite leading to malnutrition and deficiency of essential nutrients and vitamins, says the best gastrointestinal surgeon in Kolkata.
- Bacterial infection: Fluid in the obstructed intestine promotes the growth of infectious bacteria leading to serious complications.
- Dehydration: When the normal flow of fluid is obstructed, it results in vomiting and diarrhea. Moreover, you might also suffer from frequent fever and chills.
Death: In extreme cases, this condition can prove to be fatal and lead to the death of the patients.
Symptoms to watch for:
Below are the signs of intestinal obstruction indicating immediate medical attention by a gastrointestinal surgeon.
- Severe cramping in the stomach
- Chronic constipation
- Frequent bloating
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Loud bowel sound
- Fatigue and weakness
If you experience these symptoms, make sure to seek early diagnosis and treatment before it becomes more complicated and fatal.
To manage intestinal obstruction, it is important to consult your doctor urgently. Most cases of intestinal obstruction will require urgent and emergency surgery as a life saving measure. Partial or subacute obstructions which resolve can be managed conservatively, however they too may require surgery for cure at a later date.
Excellent Doctor most importantly with good Behaviour!!!!Prasupta Banerjee