What is appendix cancer? Answers gastro surgeon
An appendix is a finger-shaped small pouch of tissue in the abdomen which absorbs nutrients and removes waste from the body. Appendix cancer develops when abnormal cells grow out of control in your appendix. The lump of cells in the appendix is called a tumour. Appendix cancer can affect anyone irrespective of age, but it is more common in people over the age of 50, states the best surgeon in Kolkata. Also, it is more common in women than men.
Causes and symptoms of appendix cancer: Says gastro surgeon
Although the exact cause of appendix cancer is not found, there are certain factors that increase the risk of developing appendix cancer, says the best cancer doctor in Kolkata. Let’s discuss this.
- Family history of having appendix cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 syndrome.
- Certain conditions affect the stomach’s ability to produce acids, such as pernicious anemia and atrophic gastritis.
- Women are more likely to have appendix cancer
- Age above 50 years
A well-known GI surgeon stated that some patients with appendix cancer do not develop any symptoms in the early stage. However, when warning signs occur, they vary depending on the cause of cancer. Some of the common symptoms of appendix cancer are as follows:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Inflammation or infection in the appendix, often known as appendicitis
- Nausea and vomiting
- Increase in waist size
- Fluid buildup in the abdomen (ascites)
- Changes in bowel function, including diarrhea and hard stools
If you experience any of the above symptoms or unusual signs in your abdomen, especially on the right side, it is advisable to consult a GI surgeon and start your treatment early.
Gastro surgeon discusses the treatment options for appendix cancer
There are several treatment approaches when it comes to diagnosing appendix cancer. If your cancer doctor suspects appendix cancer, you will be recommended to undergo imaging tests like X-rays or CT scans to identify the severity of the tumour.
Treatment of appendix cancer depends upon the stage of cancer, type of tumour, and your general health condition, says the best cancer doctor in Kolkata.
Some of the common treatment options which your GI surgeon may recommend are as follows:
- Surgery: If the tumour is large, surgery is the best treatment option for patients. Possible surgical procedures include hemicolectomy(removing a part of the colon) and debulking surgery ( removing the accumulated mucus and as much of the tumour as possible).
- Chemotherapy: During chemotherapy, high chemical medicines are injected directly into the bloodstream to kill the cancer cells.
- Targeted drug therapy: Specific drugs are used in this treatment to target certain genes or proteins that encourage cancer growth and limit damage to healthy cells.
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC): HIPEC is carried out during surgery. This procedure involves heating chemotherapy drugs and circulating them inside your abdominal cavity.
Appendix cancer is a rare disorder so you may feel alone and isolated. But do not panic. Consult your doctor and discuss your symptoms in detail. He/she will answer all your questions and provide the best treatment option to help you cope with such difficult times.
One of the patients named Kamalesh Das has shared his experience. “Doctor did my laparoscopic cholecystectomy & CBD exploration on 1st August 2022 at AMRI Mukundupar. The surgery was very smooth & i was feeling normal after 7 days of surgery & now after one month i feel like i never had any surgery. I must say doctor has very expert hands. I would highly recommend this doctor.”