Experiencing stomach pain can be a common occurrence and may have various causes, ranging from minor issues to more serious conditions. One potential concern when it comes to abdominal pain is appendicitis, says a gastrointestinal surgeon in kolkata.
Appendicitis is a condition where the appendix, a small finger-shaped pouch located in the lower right abdomen, becomes inflamed and infected. The most common symptom of appendicitis which most people face is severe abdominal pain.
Warning signs of appendicitis you must not ignore:
While it is important to consult the best doctor for appendicitis in Kolkata for a proper diagnosis, there are certain warning signs associated with appendicitis that should not be ignored. These include:
- Severe abdominal pain that starts around the navel and later shifts to the lower right side of the abdomen
- Decreased desire to eat or a complete loss of appetite
- Mild fever is usually present in some cases
- Many individuals with appendicitis experience nausea and may vomit.
- The lower right side of the abdomen usually becomes tender to touch and there could be localized swelling or a feeling of fullness in that area.
- Changes in the bowel movement
If you experience these warning signs or have any concerns, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention. Appendicitis is considered a medical emergency, and prompt treatment is often required to remove the inflamed appendix.
What causes appendicitis?
The exact cause of appendicitis is not always clear, but it is generally believed to occur when the opening of the appendix, called the appendiceal lumen, becomes blocked. As per the opinion of a gastrointestinal surgeon in kolkata, the blockage can happen due to various reasons, including:
- Obstruction: The most common cause of appendicitis is a blockage of the appendiceal lumen by a small, hard piece of stool which can occur if the stool becomes hardened and gets trapped in the appendix.
- Enlarged lymphoid follicles: The appendix contains lymphoid tissue and if these lymphoid follicles become enlarged due to infection or inflammation, they can obstruct the appendiceal lumen.
- Infection: In some cases, a gastrointestinal infection caused by bacteria or viruses leads to inflammation and swelling of the appendix, resulting in appendicitis.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: Individuals with conditions like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis have an increased chance of developing appendicitis.
The standard treatment for appendicitis is surgical removal of the inflamed appendix, a procedure known as an appendectomy.
There are two main types of appendectomy which most doctors for appendicitis in Kolkata perform, depending upon its severity and requirement of the patient.
- Open Appendectomy
- Laparoscopic Appendectomy
In certain cases, if the appendix has already ruptured or formed an abscess, additional procedures may be necessary. These can include draining the abscess and placing a drainage tube before performing the appendectomy.
If you suspect appendicitis, you should seek immediate medical attention. Dr. Sanjoy Mondal, gastrointestinal surgeon in kolkata, can provide a proper diagnosis and determine the most appropriate treatment approach based on your specific condition.
Excellent surgeon very helpful nice behaviorRubi Dhar