Hernia is mainly caused when a tissue or organ protrudes through a weak abdominal muscle. If the hernia does not cause any discomfort, you may tend to avoid surgery. But if left untreated, it can cause strangulation and other complications in future. Hence, surgical repair is the most preferred treatment option. However, hernias have the chance to reoccur after surgery. The condition is known as a recurrent hernia. The risk of recurrence usually depends on the type of hernia and lifestyle choices after surgery.
But the good news is that recurrent hernia can be repaired with surgical operation, says Dr Sanjoy Mandal (hernia doctor in Kolkata).
What causes hernia come back?
Most patients think that recurrent hernias occur due to surgical complications. But according to the opinion of a hernia specialist in Kolkata, there are various other causes of the recurrence of hernia
- Unhealthy lifestyle choices such as smoking, obesity and diabetes
- Heavy exercise
- Pulmonary obstructive disease
- Chronic cough or constipation
- Infection near the surgical site
- Mesh related issues
What are the symptoms of a recurrent hernia?
A recurrent hernia is often painful and occurs near the site of the original hernia. The condition can cause severe symptoms if it protrudes inside the intestines. Some of the common symptoms as said by a hernia specialist doctor in Kolkata, are as follows:
- Pain or discomfort: You might feel a sharp or dull pain near the area of the bulge
- Nausea or vomiting: If the hernia becomes strangulated, it can cause symptoms like vomiting and nausea
- New bulge or lump near the original site: The bulge may be noticeable especially when coughing, standing or straining
- Changes in bowel movement: You might face difficulty in passing the stool if you have an inguinal hernia
If you experience these symptoms, it is always advisable to consult a hernia doctor in Kolkata without delay.
Is it possible to repair a hernia without surgery?
Surgery is the only treatment for hernia. Many patients delay surgery if the symptoms are less severe. However, a top hernia specialist doctor in Kolkata suggests patients get treatment early as it can lead to complications in future.
- Open mesh repair
- Open hernia repair
- Laparoscopic or robotic mesh repair
What are the types of surgery you can undergo?
Your hernia doctor may perform one of these surgeries depending on the type and severity of your hernia.
- Open surgery: Here, the surgeon will make an incision near the groin and push back the hernia and stitch the abdominal wall.
- Laparoscopic hernia: During this procedure, the surgeon makes cuts in the lower abdomen and uses a mesh to close the abdominal wall.
In both cases, you will be given local anaesthesia to numb the surgical area.
It is true that hernia has a chance to come back. However, early diagnosis and treatment can lead to better outcomes in patients.
“Recently I have undergone hernia laparoscopy surgery under Dr. Sanjoy Mondal from AMRI Hospital (Salt Lake branch).And I must say that he is a highly skilled doctor and due to him, I have been recovering with minimum discomfort after the surgery. I take this opportunity to convey my heartfelt gratitude as he was very supportive from very beginning and patiently resolved my concerns whenever approached. Thank you, Dr. Mondal for your exemplary service!”Debashis Roy (source: https://goo.gl/maps/CxJu8qk2tZMm6ZK2A)