The gastrointestinal system consists of various organs which are primarily involved in digestion. GI pain refers to a dull or sharp pain which you might experience in your stomach, intestines, gallbladder, appendix and pancreas. The pain can either be severe or mild, depending on its cause and location. At times, patients tend to ignore the condition but it is important to understand that if the condition is left untreated, it can become worse and can even indicate an underlying health condition.
In this blog, a well-known gastroenterologist surgeon in Kolkata discusses ways to get relief from such pain.
The best gastroenterology surgeon in Kolkata says that there are several treatment options when it comes to getting relief from pain related to your abdomen and intestine or heartburn. Let’s discuss some of them.
- Over-the-counter medicines: Non-prescription medicines such as antacids or acid reducers are a great way to reduce mild GI pain and make you feel better. However, before having them, it is recommended to consult a gastroenterologist surgeon.
- Probiotics: They are beneficial bacteria which help to maintain a healthy gut. Probiotics are known to ease mild GI pain and help in digestion. Incorporating probiotic-rich foods like yoghurt into your diet can be a natural and effective way to support your gut health.
- Lifestyle changes: An unhealthy lifestyle choice is one of the main causes of GI pain.You must avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, fried and processed foods and adopt a healthy lifestyle. You are also recommended to reduce your stress level.
- Stool softeners: If the cause of GI pain is due to constipation, stool softeners or laxatives add moisture to the stool, making it soft to pass. Regular bowel movements can help alleviate gastrointestinal issues.
- Treat underlying health issues: In some patients, GI pain is also caused by underlying health conditions like irritable bowel syndrome or GERD. In that case, you must book an appointment with a gastroenterologist surgeon in Kolkata to know the cause of the pain.
Some precautionary measures:
There are several precautions you can take to avoid abdominal pain, as suggested by the best gastroenterology surgeon in Kolkata. Here are some of them.
- Avoid fried and oily foods
- Drinking plenty of water
- Eat in small portions and frequently
- Engaging in physical activity
If your pain is frequent and chronic or any of the measures are not working, make sure to consult a gastroenterologist surgeon for treatment. Early diagnosis and proper treatment are crucial to prevent potential complications and ensure overall digestive health.
“Excellent surgeon very helpful nice behaviour”Rubi Dhar