A gastrointestinal surgeon in Kolkata specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses in both men and women. They may also undertake endoscopic operations using instruments that provide a better view of the GI Tract and accurate diagnosis.
What Does a Gastroenterologist Do?
Gastroenterologists diagnose and treat digestive diseases such as liver disease, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, and cancers. Typically, the gastroenterologist will begin by learning about your symptoms and performing an examination to see if there is anything odd that they can see, hear, or feel.
The diagnostic procedure assists the gastroenterologist in determining the source of your problems. They’ll decide on your treatment or surgery when they’ve made a diagnosis of your disease.
What conditions do gastroenterologists treat?
Some of the most common disorders treated by a gastroenterologist are listed below:
- GERD- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the contents of the stomach spill back into the oesophagus (food pipe) creating unpleasant sensations and possibly causing oesophageal damage. The most common cause of GERD is an oesophageal sphincter that is either too short or loose. Dr. Sanjoy Mandal, considered to be the best surgical oncologist in Kolkata efficiently reconstructs the sphincter by wrapping a piece of the patient’s stomach around the present sphincter developing the longest and tightest sphincter.
- Stomach Cancer- To properly treat stomach cancer, patients will require surgery. A minimally invasivelaparoscopic surgerycan sometimes completely remove stomach cancer from the body, especially in the very early stages of the illness. Although stomach cancer cannot be entirely cured by surgery in the advanced stages of cancer. So, removing a part of the stomach can bring relief and comfort to people suffering from the disease’s signs and symptoms.
- Colon Cancer- Depending on the diagnosis, the surgeon may decide to remove the colon polyp, colon tumour, and lymph node to stop the growth and spread of cancer. Surgical techniques might involve the implantation of a stent to avoid a colon blockage due to cancer. Your doctor will help you choose the best surgical method for you. Dr. Sanjoy Mandal, one of the best gastroenterology surgeon in Kolkata uses laparoscopy and minimally invasive surgery, such as a colectomy or a diverting colostomy, to help patients recover faster.
- Liver cancer- If your tumour is small and your liver function is good, a surgeonmay prescribe a procedure to remove the liver cancer and a small part of healthy liver tissue that surrounds it. But in some cases, your diseased liver is removed and is replaced with a healthy liver from a donor.
- Tb of abdomen- During the first two months of the treatment (intensification phase), Isoniazid (INH), Rifampicin, Ethambutol, and Pyrazinamide are commonly used drugs(intensification phase). During the following 7-10 months, INH and Rifampicin will be two of the most often used medications (continuation phase) for the treatment of Tb of abdomen.
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis-
- Acute pancreatitis- A few days in the hospital are required for acute pancreatitis treatment, including intravenous (IV) fluids, antibiotics, and pain relievers. The individual cannot eat or drink for the pancreas to rest. A tube may be inserted via the nose and into the stomach to remove fluid and air if vomiting occurs.
- Chronic pancreatitis- According to the best gastro surgeon in Kolkata, chronic pancreatitis treatment may necessitate hospitalization for pain control along with IV hydration, and nutritional assistance. If the person continues to lose weight, nasogastric feedings may be required for several weeks.
For more details, contact Dr Sanjoy Mandal, the best gastroenterology surgeon in Kolkata.